Hair Loss and Hair Transplantation
This is due to hair follicles getting more susceptible to the androgen hormone Dihydrotestosterone. Strength of hair on the nape against hair loss constitutes the basics of the hair transplant approach. Hair transplanted is preserved for the lifetime. Hair loss may be genetic, hormonal or ageing-driven.
Hair transplant may be performed in 2 methods: FUE (Follicular unit extraction) and FUT (strip) hair transplantation. Patient’s own hair in the donor area is directly transplanted into the area of full or partial baldness. Only the patient’s own hair can be transplanted into the patient. The basic method is to extract hair from the nape region with no hormonal susceptibility and then implant it into the fully or partially bold area. Hair so implanted regularly grows and is totally preserved.
The FUE method gives hair a natural look, and avoids any complication such as brush-like appearance or scars. FUT and FUE are both successful methods. Proper treatment yields brilliant results.
In this method, hair follicles are extracted by means of a 0.75-1 mm punch (in the donor area), and implanted individually into the area of hair loss with the same method. With this method, 3000-3500 grafts (hair follicles) may be implanted. At Dermaclinic the procedure takes around 6 hours.
Target Audience Addressed by FUE?
Everyone within the age range of 20-65 years may receive this treatment.
A scalp incision in strip form is made and hair follicles are implanted with the same method. This method poses a slightly higher risk of permanent scarring on the nape.
Considerations Prior to the FUE Treatment
• Aspirin, coraspin, alcohol and other agents acting as anticoagulants should be stopped 1 week prior to the procedure. Avoiding smoking the day before the procedure is recommended.
• Before visit, the patient should take a bath on the same day.
• The patient should have breakfast before his/her visit.
• No pharmaceutical lotion or cream should be applied to the scalp the day before the procedure.
• While androgenic hair loss is a life-long process, it slows down after the age of 39-45.
• Hair underlying the nape area on the centreline between two ears is insensitive to the hormone and is not naturally lost.
Who and where to perform the hair transplant procedure?
Hair transplant is performed by a well-trained team under the supervision of a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon. You have a preliminary meeting for our hair transplant procedures with our dermatologist at Dermaclinic and the procedure is performed again by our dermatologist aided by a team at a contracted hospital.
Can implanted hair fall out?
Implanted hair cannot fall out because the follicles implanted are extracted from the nape area where no genetic hair loss may occur.
• The very first day after the transplant, the patient should visit the clinic for follow-up, and the initial hair wash should be performed by the transplant team.
• Crusting and mild swelling may occur in the scalp for a couple of days. Such complaints fully disappear after one week.
• Hair fall out may occur during the initial three months, yet hair starts to grow after three months followed by a 75% growth as at the sixth month and 95% as at the end of the first year.
The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia and lasts for around six hours with no pain felt by the patient.
Inappropriate conditions for hair transplant
Hair transplant may be conducted at any age, yet patients with blood pressure disorders, diabetes, renal disorders and heart diseases should undergo a preliminary medical check-up before the treatment.
For more information, please send us a message.